Managed File Transfer (MFT) solutions are essential tools for businesses to securely transfer sensitive data. However, like any software, they can be vulnerable to exploits if not properly managed and secured. Recent incidents, such as the MOVEit exploits, highlight the potential risks associated with these solutions.
Several recent Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVEs) related to MFT services include:
- CVE-2023-35708: A privilege escalation vulnerability in MOVEit Transfer.
- CVE-2023-34362: A remote code execution vulnerability in MOVEit Transfer.
- CVE-2023-0669: A vulnerability in Fortra GoAnywhere MFT being exploited in the wild.
- CVE-2023-35036, CVE-2023-36934: SQL injection vulnerabilities affecting MOVEit Transfer and MOVEit Cloud.
For a comprehensive list of CVEs, you can visit the National Vulnerability Database (NVD).
Relevant MITRE ATT&CK TTPs (Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures) include:
- T1190: Exploit Public-Facing Application: The vulnerabilities in MFT services can be exploited by attackers to gain unauthorized access.
B2B File Transfer Applications
Here are some other B2B file transfer applications:
- IBM Aspera
- Citrix ShareFile
- Globalscape Enhanced File Transfer
- SolarWinds Serv-U MFT
- GoAnywhere MFT
- Thru MFT
- JSCAPE MFT Server
- HelpSystems MFT
- Axway SecureTransport
Securing MFT Solutions
Securing your MFT solution involves a combination of best practices, including:
- Regular Updates and Patching: Ensure that all software, including file transfer tools, are regularly updated and patched. This can help to fix any known vulnerabilities that could be exploited by attackers.
- Use of Encryption: Data should be encrypted both at rest and in transit. This can help to protect sensitive information even if a breach occurs.
- Multi-Factor Authentication: Implement multi-factor authentication for all users. This can add an additional layer of security and make it more difficult for attackers to gain unauthorized access.
- Least Privilege Principle: Limit user permissions to only what they need to perform their tasks. This can help to minimize the potential damage if an account is compromised.
- Regular Security Audits: Conduct regular security audits and vulnerability assessments to identify and address potential security risks.
- Network Segmentation: This can help to isolate the file transfer services from other parts of the network, reducing the risk of lateral movement by attackers.
- Data Retention Policies: Only retain data as long as required. This can help to minimize the amount of data that could be exposed in a breach.
- IP Whitelisting: Limit incoming IP addresses to specific vendor ranges. This can help to prevent unauthorized access.
- Monitoring and Anomaly Detection: Regularly monitor usage and implement anomaly detection tools. This can help to quickly identify and respond to any suspicious activity.
- Host Isolation: Isolate these hosts to minimize lateral movement. This can help to contain any potential breaches.
- What Is MFT (Managed File Transfer)? Definition, Working, and Best Practices for 2022: This article provides a comprehensive overview of MFT, including its definition, how it works, and best practices for securing MFT solutions.
- 2023 File Transfer Best Practices: 10+ Tips to Succeed – AIMultiple: This resource offers over 10 best practices for file transfer, such as verifying the recipient’s authenticity and testing file transfers.
- What makes a secure cloud MFT solution? – Axway Blog: This blog post discusses what makes a secure cloud MFT solution and provides best practices for cloud MFT security.
- 10 Cybersecurity Tips and Best Practices – GoAnywhere MFT: This article provides 10 cybersecurity tips and best practices, including the use of a secure MFT solution.
- What is important to look for in an MFT solution? – PeerSpot: This resource discusses what to look for in an MFT solution, including secure file storage and governance tools.
- Secure File Transfer for Financial Services: Best Practices for MFT and Automated File Transfer – Kiteworks: This article discusses best practices for MFT and automated file transfer in the context of financial services.
- Secure File Transfers: Best Practices, Protocols And Tools: This blog post discusses best practices, protocols, and tools for secure file transfers.
- Cornerstone MFT Server Security Best Practices – South River Technologies: This guide provides best practices for setting up a secure MFT server.
- Seven Best Practices to Ensure File Transfer Security | Coviant Software: This article provides seven best practices for ensuring file transfer security.
- Key Security Criteria to Evaluate When Choosing an MFT Solution | JSCAPE: This article discusses the key security criteria to consider when choosing an MFT solution, including encryption and data protection.